A little controversial but valuable if you having some serious relationship issues just because you can’t “keep it up” anymore? Is your marriage being threatened by your inability to satisfy your spouse? If you can relate to these issues, you may very well want to start eating the Mediterranean way to improve your sexual health before it’s too late.
Erectile Dysfunction – The Grim Statistics
You may be surprised to know that a lot of men suffer from impotency or erectile dysfunction (ED). In fact, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), there can be as many as 30 million men in the US alone who are currently suffering from this condition. However, the figures start to get more serious when you look at the number of ED cases worldwide. Can you believe that one in every ten males all over the world also suffer from erectile dysfunction? Yes, you heard it right. The problem is really that serious.
Here are some other ED-related facts you may want to know:
– Erectile dysfunction is the most common male sexual disorder. It is medically defined as the inability to achieve and sustain an erection.
- The risk of developing erectile dysfunction increases with age. About 39% of men in their 40’s and 65% of those in their late 60’s are affected with varying degrees of erectile dysfunction.
- According to the Minnesota Men’s Health Center (MMHC), there are three (3) degrees of erectile dysfunction – mild, moderate and severe.
- About 50% of all diabetic men will have erectile dysfunction within 10 years of being diagnosed with the disease.
- Smokers are more at risk of developing erectile dysfunction. Men who smoke one pack of cigarettes daily are 50% more likely to be impotent as compared to their non-smoking counterparts.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
Aside from the normal aging process, male impotency can likewise be caused by several factors. Among these are:
- Physical factors. Certain medical conditions can interfere with the normal erectile process. Among these are low male hormone levels, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes and prostate cancer. Several diseases affecting the respiratory and nervous systems such as liver cirrhosis, kidney failure, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson disease and Alzheimer’s disease can likewise cause the problem.
- Psychological factors. Stress, anxiety and depression are known to be the most common psychological factors that can trigger erectile dysfunction. Another psychological condition known as the “widower’s syndrome” was also proven to cause male impotency.
- Medications and surgery. Taking anti-hypertensives, antidepressants, ulcer medications and cholesterol lowering drugs can interfere with the normal erectile process. Likewise, having surgical procedures done in the pelvic area, brain and spinal cord can sometimes cause erectile dysfunction.
Restoring Male Sexual Health with the Mediterranean Diet
Fortunately, erectile dysfunction is a very treatable condition. Men affected with ED can choose to undergo medication, psychotherapy or surgery to correct their condition. However, there is an affordable and non-invasive way to treat male impotency. And that is by adopting the Mediterranean diet.
According to a study conducted by Dr. Katherine Esposito and other experts from the Division of Metabolic Diseases and the Division of Urology at the University of Naples in Italy and the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Rome, adopting the Mediterranean diet can improve potency in males suffering from metabolic syndrome.
For the purposes of the study, 65 males with metabolic syndrome were included in the study trial. Among them, 35 were assigned to adopt the Mediterranean diet while the remaining 30 were instructed to make no changes in their usual diet. After two years, those belonging to the intervention group showed remarkable improvements in their condition. These results were documented and published in the International Journal of Impotence Research in 2006.
This only proves that the Mediterranean diet can help prevent and treat a lot of modern man’s existing medical conditions, including erectile dysfunction. So, if you’re starting to experience any problems “down there”, it’s high time you consider trading your usual diet for the healthier Mediterranean diet. You won’t regret it!
I know this article is a little controversial but I felt this needed to be addressed,