Bruschetta is a popular favourite among many Mediterranean countries and has developed according to taste. You’ll love this because it’s so easy to prepare and it tastes great. There is a choice of cheeses because now many people are adopting Feta as a tasty alternative to Parmesan – you choose the cheese you prefer. I like both! This is one of the easiest Mediterranean diet recipes to prepare and is great when you’re short on time, guests are coming or you’re about to watch a good DVD with a friend. Here’s how you do it.
* 6 tomatoes, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1/4 cup fresh basil, no stems
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 French baguette
* 2 cups parmesan or feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven for grilling.
2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, basil, and pepper. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes.
3. Cut the baguette into thick slices. Place on a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Gril or broil for 11/2 minutes, until golden brown (light).
4. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with your choice of cheese.
5. Grill or broil the cheese so it is just slightly melted.
Tip – I add slices of Kalumatta olives to mine for extra oomph.
There is a video you can watch which shows the preparation of this tasty Mediterranean diet recipe.
Some nutritional information –
Amount Per Serving
Calories approx. 215 | Fat: 7 to 10g | Cholesterol: roughly 12mg